Introduction: Creating VCL, Context, Subject Matter & Target Audience.
I would like to develop an informal VCL for all nursing students, encompassing all levels of formal education. Depending on what level of education the student is pursuing, will depend on which room they should attend. All PN students will interact together, BSN students together, ADN together, MSN together and so on. Students will have access to all rooms. The concept of having a place to vent, discuss, develop critical thinking, share clinical experiences and interact with others in the same situation. This hybrid VCL would include asynchronous and synchronous discussions. Students from rural areas will be given the same opportunity as those in the big cities.
Strategies to build VCL
According to Shumar and Renninger (2002), the lack of context in the virtual world enables imagination, identity, and a kind of valuing that deepens the interest and enables knowledge building. So, the informal VC will be similar to the FaceBook or MySpace format. The VC will be strictly voluntary, but strongly encouraged to build that social life and challenge critical thinking processes to build a professional in the nursing field. Also, according to our text, the Community of Practice (CoP) is a place where those of the same profession not merely exchange ideas but learn from each other’s expertise and are committed to jointly develop better practices (Brown & Gray, 1995). As we have discussed in our weekly discussions, a VC needs a humanistic touch. Leadership is key to success. As the facilitator, guide on the side, I will begin strong and fade into the background as participation and interest takes over. The activities will allow members to be resources for each other, as well as receive assistance by the facilitator as needed. Together we can build a professional culture in the VC.
The goal and purpose is to develop a VC with Computer-Mediated Communication to allow all nursing students a common place to make connections with others in their same situation. To discuss real situations and gain knowledge from others. This VC will be liberated from geography, sustaining interpersonal ties with other professionals around the world.
Literature as Framework
As I have read the text over the past 5 weeks, I have began to understand how important the Web is in assisting students to increase personal relevance of self direction and be in charge of their knowledge. According to Hoadley and Pea, the knowledge networking (getting the knowledge to those members who need it) is key to a successful professional community such as nursing (Chap 12, Renninger & Shumar).
As I am gaining knowledge of the Computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL), I find myself intrigued to keep learning and incorporate some of these learning activities such as Skype, Blog and journaling into my classes. I would like to begin to develop the guide-on-the side and rid the sage on the stage act in my classroom.
References
Koschmann, T., Hall, R., & Miyake, N. (2001). CSCL 2: Carrying forward the conversation. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
Renninger, K. A., & Shumar, W. (2002). Building virtual communities. New York, NY:
Cambridge University Press.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Karen, I enjoyed reading your blog and I am in complete agreement about the online comraderie a VLC dedicated to nurses will be. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your ideas and concepts. This VLC will be so important to the community of nurses, especially times of economic challenges, which I believe has the potential to bring out the best in us and make us think about how to do our job efficiently and technology is a great piece of this challenge. Good luck.
ReplyDelete